Thursday, July 22, 2010

Thoughts About Tool #10

I have an iPhone, and it's questionable whether I have downloaded more apps for me or as "research" for the iTouches we're receiving! I found an app called iSeismo that is a great simulation for how a seismograph works. I realized after teaching Earth science for 3 years that it was very difficult to describe how a machine detects such subtle changes in the earth's surface. This app, when you put it on a table and shake the table, works like a seismograph! Pretty cool! I also really like the flash cards apps (there are TONS of them) and Distant Suns lite. It gives great information on planets, constellations, and will use your current location to show which stars you can see at night. I am also a HUGE fan of the free Words with Friends (Scrabble) game.

Using these devices is great (I love mine!)... in moderation, I worry about how EXTENDED use of these devices will aid students when children are already becoming further and further removed from HUMAN interaction and if will effect their social skills not their social NETWORKING skills! I know I can speak from experience with my former students that sometimes at school is the only place they have one-on-one interaction with peers/adults because from the time they get home until they go to bed, parents aren't home and video games are babysitters! My biggest trial will be how to get students to use the devices as a way to ENHANCE their interactions, not EXTINGUISH them!

No comments:

Post a Comment